Wednesday, November 25, 2009

For the snoozer in all of us


I've covered the mania of Black Friday.

The past two years, I've been outside stores around 4 a.m., writing down the quotes of, um, dedicated deal-hunters with a pencil because ink won't flow from a pen in 20-degree temperatures.

This year, fellow stalwart reporter Cheryl Berzanskis has that duty and I'm grateful not to have a 3 a.m. wake-up call. The atmosphere is fun, but I've never found a bargain that would entice me forget that what I'm camping on is cold concrete.

Which brings me to a clever Black Friday promotion planned by Payless.

The shoe retailer invited customers to text SLEEPIN to a number through today. In return, the company will send those consumers a digital coupon on Thanksgiving Day that will be valid through the entire Thanksgiving weekend.

If you're reading this today, there may still be time to participate. Text SLEEPIN to 242424.

I'll try to find out soon how many customers Payless got to sleep in and still shop.

No comments: